Joining in with
Amy and Five on Friday.
1. I managed not to miss the elderflowers this year and made a couple of batches of elderflower cordial using
River Cottage's recipe, I made one with an orange and one without. Both good. Although the littlest boy was not impressed. "It tastes wrong. It just tastes wrong."
2. Strawberries, asparagus and rhubarb from the allotment. These early harvests are my favourites. Although I went today to pick more strawberries and the rain has wrought havoc. They are rotting and going mouldy and the mice are having quite an impact as well. I brought back a small punnet, but it was only a fraction of what it should have been.
3. Still practising calligraphy in odd moments. I have some new black ink and it's really scary. Drips fly out and it's only a matter of time before ink meets carpet in a disaster of epic proportions. I honestly am the clumsiest person I know. I managed to flick a massive swathe of tinned tomatoes all across my face and hair when I was cooking earlier. Yesterday I dropped a yoghurt which exploded in spectacular style all over me and the floor. It's a daily thing.
4. Last weekend I took the boys to a Festival of Nature in the city centre. It was brilliant, loads to see and marvel at, and a few food stalls too. I particularly liked the fermented foods one. Sauerkraut and kimchi amongst other things. The kimchi (an Asian fermented/pickled/spiced cabbage dish) was absolutely delicious. And apparently very good for the innards, what with all of its beneficial bacteria. I've had a go at making a batch but I'm not sure it's going to be successful. I put some garlic in, and the smell was so strong I've had to banish it to the garage while it ferments. I shan't give up though, I really like the idea of fermented pickles. I'm not a fan of things with vinegar poured over them, but the acid produced in fermentation is much milder and the flavours of the vegetables still comes through. Has anyone tried fermenting? Any tips?
5. Sad news on the wildlife front. The baby crane out at the wetlands place died. Anyone who has been watching Springwatch will know how low the survival rate can be for the young of pretty much everything. Lots of predation and other calamities. The cranes are very special as they've been extinct here in the southwest for 400 years. Around 90 were reintroduced to the Somerset levels a few years ago, and they are old enough to breed now. A couple of years ago the two chicks that hatched were taken by a fox. Last year a chick was reared successfully. Hopefully there will be more in the future.
Wishing you all a good weekend with hopefully a little summer sunshine. CJ xx
0 Yorumlar