Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Steam Ship Travel Chinaware





When I'm out flitting around finding things, my eye is trained to white. My recent jaunt turned up a nice ironstone bowl. So beautiful and practical.



And somewhat less practical, but a bit more exciting to me were these square three inch creamers. Thrilling, because they are china from an old Cunard Line steamship from the 30's. Talk about romance!



I had to look twice at the mark because I suspected they were reproduction. After all, I am as far inland as is possible on the continent!



But the crazing and general condition told me they were the real thing. 



A close-up shows the details of the spout and handle designed to fit snuggly together en masse on a tray. A smart design for serving from the galley of a swaying ship. And such a beautiful clean-lined art deco design too.



I have taken too many pictures of them. Sort of like you do when you have an adorable brand new baby. And twins no less! Because I am entranced by travel motifs, like the authentic labels on old travel trunks.



If I had any doubts left about autheticity here, the lack of uniformity in the shape is one more verifyer. It hardly matters though. As interesting as they are to a travel nut they are not highly valued.



They are just one more artifact to fuel my wish to take a trans-atlantic steamer cruise some day. These days the crossings depart from the US only in spring, and return in fall. At least that was the case when I inquired about a dozen years ago. And I'm sure I would find plenty to occupy me between departures.



For now, these little babies will take their celebrated place among the creamware collection. Transporting me to the golden age of travel with just a glance. 






Hope you enjoy a bit of romance this weekend too!
Ciao for now!

Jacqueline

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar