Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

BlogJune Day Six

 


As a little light relief from my daily doings I thought a trip to Portmeirion in North Wales might be in order.  We visited three years ago and I was recently reminded of our visit.





Nicola Upson’s novel entitled ‘Fear in The Sunlight’ has Portmeirion as its base. As I read this crime thriller I was aware, as usual, how important setting is to any story. I’m a real crime lover and through the many series of books I enjoy I’ve travelled to many delightful place. The Norfolk coast with Elly Griffiths ,Devon with Kate Ellis, Whitstable with Julie Wassmer to name just a few. Place and it’s description is integral to any excellent novel and this recent book by Nicola Upson described this idyllic spot in North Wales to perfection.


The year is 1936 and the creation that is Portmeirion is still in its infancy. Upson writes about a real life crime writer in the guise of Josephine Tey. One of her novels was scripted into a film by Alfred Hitchcock and the story describes a weekend where the two meet up. It’s a perfect summer with all the ingredients to make the pastiche that is Portmeirion glow. It seems that Hitchcock liked to tease his guests when entertaining so a fake murder that he had planned goes horribly wrong. Interlaced with all these doings is another murder from the past that comes to light. All very cloak and dagger but it all works to perfection.

While reading I couldn’t help flip through my photos from our visit on a glorious sunny day. I’m sure as you look though the photos it will make you want to visit such a magical place. Some of you may even remember the tv series called ‘The Prisoner’ set here many years ago.


Enough said other than to highly recommend both the book and the place. Have you a favourite series that is set in the perfect place?


Barbara xxx

















Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar